(B)Logbuch: neueste Posts

Passage Panama-Marquesas

0 Kommentare

Crossing the Pacific

With the help of a shopper I am able to provision one last time. I am glad to leave Panama, which is in the middle of rainy season with lots of downpours and lightning. After studying wind and current predictions one last time, I decide to sail SW to reach about 3 degrees N of the equator and then head W for as long as the W setting current lasts and only then drop SW heading straight for Nuku Hiva in the Marquesas.

We are a group of boats that leave around the same time but spread out with a distance of 200 to 600 miles. As one skipper notes: The astronauts on the ISS are likely the closest humans! But still, it creates a sense of community, of shared adventure, and reading each others position reports shared via satellite email every day is a lot of fun. Here’s a quote from my log after one week at sea:


“The first few days after leaving Panama City were difficult because wind and waves were coming from SW which is where I needed to go. And then there was the current and did I mention thunderstorms and rain? For the first day or two I caught a favourable current pushing me SW. But to get further S sooner or later you have to cross the counter current that sets E. Seeing that the SW wind and consequently the waves would also pick up over the next couple of days, I chose to beat into wind and waves to go S as quickly as possible. This meant a lot of motoring for two days until I got to 3 degrees N with a lot of green water on deck. It was worth it because the wind turned to S and I was able to sail W from there. Closer to the Galapagos I also picked up a favourable NW current - or rather it picked me up!

Yesterday afternoon I arrived at Isla Wolf, one of the remote Galapagos islands, which are closed due to COVID. I looked for a temporary anchorage but there was none to be had. This island consists of two half sunken half-moon shaped volcanic craters that drop steeply into the sea. But I got a glimpse of what the Galapagos are about: Still miles away I was greeted by a bunch of rowdy boobies and as I got closer there must have been a hundred of these large sea birds swirling around my boat. It was quite like the Hitchcock movie! Closer to shore I came upon a few schools of dolphins, obviously very curious and playfully showing off their tricks. Later three sea lions came to check me out as well. I really felt like jumping in with them. Wow, what fantastic wildlife, worthy of all the protection it can get!

Adjusting to life at sea again came quite easily for me as I am not prone to seasickness at all and love being at sea. The most difficult part is getting up many times at night to check. But I can nap during the day to catch up. I truly enjoy being out here on the open ocean. It is a unique and quite indescribable experience. I greatly appreciate being able to do this journey as I please, especially in these difficult times with all the travel restrictions still largely in place.”


After the Galapagos the current conveyor belt picks up and the 24h run records keep tumbling with an all time best of 258nm in one day, more than 10kn average! My strategy of staying N of the equator turns out to be very fast and just before crossing the equator at 127W I catch up with my Kiwi friends on Windchase. We decide to stop and exchange gifts mid ocean. Not as easy as it sounds, you cannot just tie up because the boats get rolled wildly by the ocean swell. I float a watertight bag with beers, veggies, and home made tuna dog biscuits on a long line. They pick it up, empty it, and fill it with their goodies. Amongst potato chips and a freshly cooked rice dish (still warm!) I find a furry hat with ear flaps… The text that comes with it reads: “I have been advised to wear this hat, because apparently it is around zero degrees here”. Great sense of humour!


Then, at 0606 on the morning of day 16 the big moment… I cross to the other side and a few hours later Windchase must have, too. So congrats! Thanks to Paul I now know I am no longer a polliwog, but a shell bag. I guess that’s on the way to becoming a salty dog. The British are definitely a seafaring nation and it shows in their language!


There has not been much wildlife after crossing the equator other than the ubiquitous flying fish. No more squid, boobies or storm petrels but some elegant and solitary shearwaters showed up and since yesterday I saw flocks of white birds that look a bit like tropic birds but without the long thin tail feather. I get up in the middle of the night. Drinking from a water bottle I drop the lid on the cockpit floor. All annoyed I search for it in the dark and instead of the lid I grab something cold, wet, and glibbery… Boy, was I awake!  It is a dead flying fish who flew all the way in here and has been perfectly trapped. Poor fellow.

Another night I have a magical experience, though. A few dolphins come to visit and I notice I can now distinguish the sound of their blow from the sound of the waves splashing to recognise their arrival. There is no moon and I cannnot actually see the dolphins. All I see is the fluorescent plankton being agitated by the dolphins’ motion which leaves these greenish traces behind them that only linger for a second. Like action painting happening before my eyes. It is utterly beautiful!

Then next day a pod of about eight dolphins come to play in the bow wave for 30 min, a long time. I notice these dolphins look different as their noses are short and there is no distinction between nose and head, only a straight line. Are these called porpoises? One of them is badly injured. It looks like he had a rope or cable tied around his tail which cut into his flesh. Maybe he was caught in a fishing net? I hope he makes it as the gash is really deep! 

There is more wildlife of the nasty kind in my cabinets. Now that we are back in the humid tropics the moulds are making a comeback.


Overall this passage has a lot of light winds and true to its name, the Pacific shows its peaceful side. My light wind sails Code 0 and asymmetric Spinnaker, aka Mr Pink, come in handy. All day Mr Pink is up and together with the current pulls us W quickly. But a few days before arrival the wind is up and the waves are too. It is nice to see 20kn on the anemometer for the first time on this passage. When we crossed the Atlantic that was pretty much the average! But running downwind wing on wing is quite easy, except for the rolling. Hold on!


Other boats have trouble with their transmission, clogged fuel filters, generator not starting, a broken boom, sail damage etc. Luckily my list of mishaps is very short with a tear in the Code 0 and changing fuel filters.


On day 23 I can finally call out: “Hooray! I’ve made it!” But it doesn’t quite feel right to say that. I have just as much only been a passenger on this voyage, relying on a well built boat made for such ocean voyages, good gear, a trusty autopilot, the support of my family and - last but not least - my cruiser group! I drop the hook in Taiohae Bay, Nuku Hiva at 0730 am. The arrival timing works out perfectly with dawn breaking about 10nm away from the island, a mighty, imposing one, dare I say. I feel very grateful to be here!

0 Kommentare

Las Perlas Islands, Panama

0 Kommentare

Las Perlas - the Pearl Islands

After staying overnight in a rolly anchorage close to the Pacific Panama Canal entrance we lift anchor and sail out to the Perlas, a group of picturesque islands some 35nm off the coast of Panama City. But lo and behold, this is the rainy season and soon we are sailing full steam into a black wall of clouds with much rain but fortunately not too much wind in it. All the rivers that dump their water into the large bay of Panama City carry a lot of debris. Anything from plastic trash to whole tree trunks are floating in the water and are sometimes hard to spot and avoid.


On the north side of Isla Contadora we drop anchor amidst friends’ boats from Shelter Bay Marina. Invitations for drinks aboard, pot luck dinners and bonfires on the beach ensue. We all have a merry and relaxing time. I have especially grown fond of my Kiwi friends Sue and Paul on SV Windchase with their Italian water dog Mili, a Lagotto Romagna to be precise. Like her, I cannot wait for the next walk on the beach together!

Anchor aweigh is not happening though. Suspecting something serious I don my newly acquired Scuba gear to explore and find my anchor chain firmly wrapped around the pulpit of a large sunken motor yacht. The following under water disentanglement seems something of a mix between an oversized mikado game and untangling your knitting wool. I am happy to resurface with the last air in the tank, unharmed and happy about a job well done.


SV Windchase and I decide to break away from the pack and sail south to explore some of the other islands in this magnificent archipelago such as Ampon, Pedro Gonzales, Isla del Rey, San Telmo, and Espirito Santo. Again, we head into a dark wall of rain and some lightning and thunder. Close enough to scare me sufficiently and make me throw all my electronics in the oven, which acts as a faradaic cage and is supposed to protect them from lighting strike.


The next day early we explore the Rio Cacique on Isla del Rey in the dinghy. The swell is flowing into the river mouth and as I forgot again, every river mouth has a bar, a sanddune you must cross to enter the river proper. Over that bar the waves mount and can easily overthrow an inflatable like ours…by a hair we manage to keep our balance and ourselves mostly and the camera totally dry! We let the dog run off the leash on the beach as usual until we come to notice a pond behind the beach with three (!) large crocodiles floating in it. As Mili is very fond of water and totally oblivious of any dangers that might lurk we are lucky to catch her in time before the crocs do. As one of the national park rangers with limited English pointed out when we were talking about crocodiles with him: He pointed to the dog and said: Boccadillo! She would be but an appetiser since crocs are apparently especially fond of dogs!


Next we motor around Isla San Telmo to anchor on its NE side. On the small beach there is a semi-submerged wreck of a submarine. It is rusting away since 100 years and to this day remains a mystery as to where it came from and who it belonged to. There is still not enough wind but at least we can motor sail on up the east coast of Isla del Rey, the largest of the Perlas Islands to find the very protected anchorage between it and Isla de Espirito Santo (Holy Spirit) to relax from an exciting day. This little island with its even smaller wooded hills and beaches is so enchanting that it might make one feel quite religious.


The next day, again, we motor back to our favourite anchorage on Isla Chapera. It is time for a last dinner together, a last morning walk on the beach with the dog. My New Zealanders are bidding me farewell and are heading straight to the Marquesas from here. This is a 4000nm passage (7000km) or for their boat speed means about 35-40 days at sea with no land in sight. It is amazing that we can just pick up our anchor and go on such a grand voyage, especially in these difficult times!

0 Kommentare

Las Perlas - die Perleninseln

Nachdem wir auf der Pazifikseite des Panamakanals an einem rolligen Ankerplatz übernachtet haben, gehen wir drei Boote Anker auf und segeln zu den Perlas, einer Gruppe von pittoresken und weitgehend naturbelassenen Inseln etwa 35sm (65km) von Panama-City entfernt.


Doch man darf hier nicht vergessen, dass Regenzeit herrscht und bald schon segeln wir in eine schwarze Wolkenwand mit viel Regen aber zum Glück nur wenig Wind drin. All die Regenwald-Flüsse ergiessen sich hier in die grosse Bucht von Panama. Sie tragen viel Treibgut mit sich, was von Plastikmüll bis zu ganzen Baumstämmen gehen kann. Diese sind nicht immer einfach auszumachen und zu umschiffen!


Auf der Nordseite der Insel Contadora fällt der Anker zwischen befreundeten Booten aus der Shelter Bay Marina. Von Einladungen zum Drink an Bord bis zur Jeder-bringt-was-mit-Party und Lagerfeuer am Strand gibt es fast jeden Tag einen Anlass und wir alle geniessen und entspannen erst mal. Speziell meine Kiwi Freunde von Segeljacht Windchase Paul und Sue mit Mili ihrem Lagotto Romagna, einem italienischen Wasserhund. Wie sie, kann ich es kaum erwarten bis zum nächsten gemeinsamen Spaziergang am Strand!

Anker auf geht hier leider nicht so leicht und meine neu erworbene Taucherausrüstung kommt ein erstes Mal zum Einsatz: Meine Ankerkette hat sich auf 13m Tiefe um den Bugkorb einer havarierten Motoryacht gewickelt. Die nun folgende Aktion des Kette Entwirren unter Wasser kommt mir vor wie eine Mischung aus überdimensioniertem Mikadospiel und Wollknäuel entwirren. Ich bin froh, läuft alles glimpflich ab und mit dem letzten Luftvorrat kann ich erleichtert auftauchen.


SY Windchase und ich entscheiden, uns von der Rotte zu entfernen und südlich zu segeln um einige der anderen Inseln wie Ampon, Pedro Gonzales, Isla del Rey, San Telmo und Espirito Santo erkunden zu können. Wiederum fahren wir in eine dunkle Regenwand mit Blitz und Donner. Dieser ist nahe genug, dass ich meine ganze Elektronik schnell in den Backofen stecke. Dieser soll wie ein faradäischer Käfig wirken und die Geräte vor Blitzschlag schützen.


Früh am nächsten Tag erkunden wir den Rio Cacique auf der Insel del Rey mit dem Beiboot. Die Wellen stehen in die Flussmündung und wie ich gerne vergesse, hat jeder Fluss eine Barre, eine Sandbank die man überqueren muss, um in den Fluss zu gelangen. Auf der Barre richten sich die Wellen steil auf und können ein Schlauchboot wie unsres leicht kentern… Um ein Haar schaffen wir es, dies zu verhindern und uns mehrheitlich und die Kamera ganz trocken zu halten! Am Strand lassen wir den Hund wie immer von der Leine bis wir hinter dem Strand einen grossen Teich entdecken, in dem drei (!) Grosse Krokodile paddeln. Weil Mili sehr gerne ins Wasser geht und dabei völlig unbedarft ist, was die lauernden Gefahren darin angeht, schätzen wir uns glücklich, sie vor den Krokodilen einfangen zu können. Wie einer der Nationalparkwärter mit beschränktem Englisch vor einer Weile meinte, als wir mit ihm über Krokodile sprachen, und auf Mili zeigte: Boccadillo! Sie wäre nur ein Häppchen für jedes Krok, da diese Hunde offenbar gerne mögen.


Als nächstes motoren wir um San Telmo herum und ankern auf deren NE Seite. Am kleinen Strand soll das Wrack eines hundertjährigen U-Boots liegen. Dieses rostet dort seither vor sich hin und keiner weiss so genau, woher es kam und wem es gehörte.

Es gibt noch immer nicht genügend Wind aber zum Motorsegeln entlang der Ostküste der Königsinsel, wie die grösste heisst, reicht es gerade. Dort finden wir zwischen ihr und der Isla Espirito Santo (Heiliger Geist) eine besonders geschützte Bucht und entspannen erst mal nach diesem aufregenden Tag. Diese kleine Insel mit ihren noch kleineren Hügeln und Stränden ist so bezaubernd, dass man fast religiöse Gefühle dabei entwickelt.


Am nächsten Tag muss wieder der Dieselwind helfen, um unseren Lieblingsplatz bei der Insel Chapera zu erreichen. Es ist Zeit für ein letztes gemeinsames Abendessen und einen letzten Morgenspaziergang mit Hund. Meine Neuseeländer verabschieden sich und segeln von hier direkt bis zu den Marquesas. Ein 4000sm-Törn (7000km) oder für ihre Bootsgeschwindigkeit etwa 35-40 Tage auf See ohne Land in Sicht. Es ist unglaublich, dass wir einfach unseren Anker einholen und auf eine solch grossartige Seereisen gehen können, speziell in diesen schwierigen Zeiten!

0 Kommentare

Panama Canal pictures

0 Kommentare

Panama Canal Crossing

Early in the morning on 28 May we are met by our canal advisors in the anchorage outside the marina, where we had spent the night. There is one advisor on each boat but the one in the center has the responsibility for all three and hence is in command. SV Spacegrazer, SV Windchase, and SV Moira motor under the Centenario bridge to catch up with the bulk freighter we are supposed to join in the locks. This bridge has only been opened recently to commemorate one century of the opening of the Panama Canal. It is the third bridge to cross it and hence connect Central and South America for road traffic. 


Arriving in front of Gatun locks we tie the boats together with lots of fenders between us and the biggest ones on the outside to protect the boats from scraping against the rough lock walls which almost happens… As a raft we move into the lock and the giant riveted steel doors slowly and silently close behind us. Amazingly, these are the original doors from 1913 and are still in daily service. What an incredible engineering feat the whole canal presents, let alone all the effort and suffering it took to construct it in a tropical climate!


The lock worker on land throws the monkey fist (a ball-shaped weight attached to a thin line) over to us to which we tie the heavy docking line. He then pulls it back and ties it to one of the large bollards. This allows us to tighten it and keep our raft in the middle of the lock. These lines must be tightened continuously as the water level rises and losened when locking down. In the second lock the dock worker is a bit slow to pull over our line and we cannot tighten the line from our end. The strong wash in the lock pushes our raft towards the opposite wall and SV Windchase is inches from getting their wind vane steering damaged. We lucked out this time. But there is a lot of quick and loud Spanish going back and forth between the advisors - maybe better my Spanish is not so good!


After locking up three steps and about 50m (150ft) we arrive in Gatun Lake with a delay. This lake is artificial and in many ways the life blood of this country. All the ships crossing the canal have to traverse it. At the same time it is a freshwater reserve and the hydro-electric dam provides energy for the canal and the country. As we are able to experience firsthand it is also a beautiful sanctuary for many plants and animals. There are no human settlements and private boat traffic allowed on it.


Our freighter is steaming ahead to make his time slot at the locks for descending into the Pacific on the same day. Unfortunately, we cannot keep up with his speed and therefore our advisors are ordered by the canal traffic control to raft us up around a large buoy in Gamboa to spend the night and continue our passage the next day. Shipping traffic is light that day and there is no more matching ship for us. Any ship too large to leave enough room for us or with hazardous cargo such as liquid natural gas or oil is not suitable for us to go in the locks with. Staying overnight in the canal comes as a blessing in disguise because the night is very nice and calm. Notwithstanding the numerous mosquitoes there is much bird life and a crocodile swims past our boats.


The next day new advisors are dropped off by the pilot boat with nimble and accurate steering by the captain. They will escort us through the single chamber Pedro Miguel lock and afterwards to lower us down to the Pacific level in two steps via the Miraflores locks. We steam ahead under the imposing Puente de las Americas into the Pacific Ocean and into a new chapter of my adventures on board Moira.

0 Kommentare

Panamakanal Durchfahrt

Am 28. Mai morgens früh treffen unsere Kanallotsen am Ankerplatz vor der Marina ein, wo wir die Nacht verbracht hatten. Auf jedes Boot kommt ein Lotse, obwohl die drei Boote als Paket durch die Schleusen fahren. Derjenige in der Mitte hat das Kommando und die Verantwortung. SV Spacegrazer, SV Windchase, and SV Moira motoren unter der Centenario Brücke hindurch und holen den Stückgutfrachter ein, mit dem wir durch die Schleusen fahren sollen. Wir sind quasi das Füllmaterial.

Diese Brücke wurde erst vor Kurzem eröffnet und soll an die Eröffnung des Panamakanals vor hundert Jahren erinnern. Sie ist die dritte Brücke über den Kanal, die damit Mittel- und Südamerika für den Strassenverkehr verbindet.


Vor den Gatunschleusen angekommen vertäuen wir unsere Boote mit vielen Fendern dazwischen und die grössten auf der Aussenseite, um unsere Rümpfe vor den rauen Schleusenwänden zu schützen, was auch fast passiert wäre… Als Floss fahren wir in die Schleuse ein und die riesigen genieteten Schleusentore schliessen sich langsam und leise hinter uns. Unglaublich aber wahr, dies sind immer noch die Originaltore von 1913 in täglichem Gebrauch. Was für beeindruckende Ingenieursarbeit dieses Ehrfurcht erregende Bauwerk erschaffen hat, ganz zu schweigen davon welche Anstrengung und Schmerz nötig waren, um diesen Kanal in tropischem Klima zu graben!


Der Schleusenarbeiter wirft die Affenfaust (ein ballförmiges Gewicht am Ende einer dünnen Leine) herüber, an der wir die dicken Leinen befestigen. Er zieht diese zu sich an den Schleusenrand und belegt sie auf einem der grossen Poller. Wir können sie dann straff ziehen und unser Floss in der Mitte der Schleuse halten. Diese Leinen müssen ständig dicht geholt beziehungsweise beim Herunterschlugen gefiert werden. In der zweiten Schleuse ist unser Mann am Land etwas langsam mit belegen und die Strudel in der Schleuse treiben uns gefährlich nahe an die gegenüberliegende Schleusenwand, weil wir unsere Leine nicht dicht holen können. SV Windchase wird dabei um ein Haar die Windfahnensteuerung am Heck beschädigt. Glück gehabt, alles gut gegangen. Aber anschliessend geht viel schnelles und lautes Spanisch zwischen den Lotsen hin und her - wohl besser habe ich nichts verstanden!


Nachdem wir die dreistufige Schleuse und ungefähr 50m erklommen haben, kommen wir im Gatunsee mit Verspätung an. Dieser ist künstlich angelegt und ist in vieler Hinsicht die Lebensader dieses Landes. Es dient dem internationalen Schiffsverkehr auf dem Weg in den nächsten Ozean sowie als Frischwasservorrat und das Kraftwerk am Staudamm versorgt den Kanal und das Land mit elektrischem Strom. Wie wir selbst erfahren können, ist dieser See auch ein Naturpark für viele Pflanzen und Tiere. Denn es gibt entlang seiner vielen Verästelungen keine menschliche Siedlung und privater Bootsverkehr und Fischerei sind verboten.


Unser Frachter dampft davon, um sein Zeitfenster beim Abschlössen in den Pazifik noch am gleichen Tag nicht zu verpassen. Leider können wir nicht mithalten und unsere Lotsen werden von der Kanalleitung aufgefordert, uns an einer Lotsenboje in Gamboa für die Nacht zu vertäuen und die Kanalfahrt am nächsten Tag fortzusetzen. Es gibt an diesem Tag nur wenig Schiffsverkehr und von den nachfolgenden Schiffen ist keines geeignet für uns. Jedes zu grosse oder mit Gefahrgut wie Flüssiggas oder Öl beladene Schiff ist nicht geeignet. Im Kanal zu übernachten stellt sich als unerwarteter Segen heraus, weil die Nacht sehr angenehm und ruhig ist. Mal abgesehen von den Mücken gibt es viele Vögel und sogar ein Krokodil schwimmt an unseren Booten vorbei.


Am nächsten Tag werden neue Lotsen vom grossen Lotsenboot mit punktgenauem Manöver abgesetzt. Sie werden uns anleiten bei der Fahrt durch die einstufige Pedro Miguel Schleuse und anschliessend durch die zweistufige Miraflores Schleuse, bis wir auf dem Niveau des Pazifischen Ozeans sind. Aus der Schleuse kommend dampfen wir unter der Brücke der Amerikas (was ist die Mehrzahl von Amerika?) hindurch in den grössten Ozean auf dieser Erde, hinein in neues Kapitel meiner Abenteuer an Bord von Moira.

0 Kommentare


0 Kommentare


How relieved we are when our fourteen-day-quarantine at anchor outside Shelter Bay Marina in Colon, Panama is finally over! We enjoy walks in the tropic rainforest with all its amazing trees, birds, and monkeys - the marina even has a resident  four meter long crocodile. No swimming!

We meet a lot of new cruisers and have many dock conversations. These often start with: So, what are your plans? Um, going to the bathroom and then having an afternoon nap!? An answer venturing any further into the future is rendered especially absurd when the whole country you are in is in total lockdown. Women and men are only allowed out of the house for two hours every other day. The time slot is determined by the last digit in your passport. Children must stay at home at all times! Weekends and nights are under strict curfew for everybody and there is a ban on alcohol sales.

Despite this, the marina community turns out to be something of a bubble as there is no direct contact to the outside world due to its remote location. The marina manager does an excellent job at keeping everybody happy and in line. We enjoy quite a bit of freedom and can go for walks, stroll on the beach, and meet with other cruisers maintaining the rules for social distancing. As time wears on, we even have a few dockside parties, tattoo sessions (not me!), and a ratatouille cooking contest!


After relaxing for some days, I finally start to tackle my long list of boat chores. It starts out rather innocently with making a new wood box for the engine starter battery to be mounted on the bullwark in the aft cabin. Then we do some maintenance on the engine and the generator. The amount of sweat I lose in the engine room would make any sauna goer proud!

Next, I start replacing teak plugs where screws are showing in the deck. As I am down on my four I can see spots where the caulking is failing, possibly allowing for water to seep into the deck. Not good. After digging out old caulking and patching some seams with new caulking they and the wood in between need sanding to smooth out unevenness. This turns into a huge job totalling over 100 hours of work! Now the deck looks amazing and is so smooth to walk on, almost too smooth…


All the while I am monitoring the situation in the South Pacific as all the groups of islands have been locked down due to the pandemic for an indefinite amount of time. It is hard to get fact based first hand information. With hardly any cases first signs of opening up within each archipelago appear. After much back and forth I decide to continue my sailing trip this year and venture into the Pacific as possible. Firstly, this means hauling the boat out for a week of intense work on necessary maintenance. Repainting the antifoul bottom paint, cleaning and servicing the propeller, polishing and sealing the hull, cleaning the chain and anchor locker - to name a few. At the same time, I am having a new Bimini (sun cover for the cockpit) and extension sewed, the Genoa is getting repaired, and my curtains in the cabin are fixed.


I team up with two other boats to cross the Panama Canal as a raft. 28 May is confirmed by the Panama Canal Authority as our transit date. All of a sudden, we have a date. What a strange experience to have a definitive deadline after being in limbo for so long!

Getting back into cruising mode always takes some time after staying in a place for a while. This is especially so now, as I have been in Shelter Bay Marina for more than two months and have come to know many friendly, helpful and kind people with a similar way of life stuck in a similar situation. Saying goodbye to them all does not come easy!


Time to pause - In the marina we erected a kind of monument of this special time together acknowledging the fact that we are all affected by this and can help each other. Realising how much pain, anguish, and death this pandemic is causing worldwide I cannot help but wonder what the effects of this forced pause on humanity might cause. Other than the grave health related, social, or economic consequences this does and will undoubtedly incur there could also be inestimable benefits. Everyone is forced to consider his or her own lives opening new ways for action. Openly acknowledging what we as a human race are doing to ourselves, our fellows, animals and nature in general might be painful at first. But change can happen quite suddenly and in positive ways. 

0 Kommentare


Wie erleichtert wir sind als unsere 14-Tage-Quarantäne vor Anker ausserhalb der Shelter Bay Marina in Colon, Panama endlich vorüber ist! Wir geniessen Spaziergänge im tropischen Regenwald mit all seinen faszinierenden Bäumen, Vögeln und Affen - in der Marina lebt sogar ein ortsansässiges Vier-Meter-Krokodil. Schwimmen gehen eher nicht empfohlen!


Wir lernen eine Menge anderer Segler kennen und es ergeben sich viele Gespräche auf der Pier. Die beginnen oft etwa so: Was sind deine Pläne? Ach, ich geh’ erst aufs Klo und dann mach ich einen Mittagsschlaf! Eine weiter in die Zukunft reichende Antwort erscheint absurd, wenn das ganze Land, in dem du dich aufhältst, sich im totalen Lockdown befindet: Frauen und Männer ist es nur alle zwei Tage während zwei Stunden erlaubt, das Haus zu verlassen. Diese zwei Stunden werden durch die letzte Ziffer im eigenen Pass bestimmt. Kinder müssen die ganze Zeit zuhause bleiben! Wochenenden und Nächte unterliegen einer strikten Ausgangssperre für alle und der Verkauf von Alkohol ist verboten.


Trotz all dieser Einschränkungen erweist sich die Marina Gemeinschaft als eine Art Blase weil es keinen direkten Kontakt zur Aussenwelt gibt, da die Marina abgelegen in einem Naturpark liegt. Der Marinamanager ist sehr geschickt darin, allen ein grösstmögliches Mass an Freiheit zu erlauben und gleichzeitig die Einhaltung von Regeln mit gutem Augenmass einzufordern. So können wir im Wald und am Strand spazieren oder joggen gehen, uns mit anderen Seglern treffen, natürlich mit Abstand halten. Mit fortschreitender Zeit ergeben sich sogar einige Pierparties, Tätowier-Sitzungen (nicht ich!) und ein Ratatouille-Wettkochen!


Nach einigen Tagen Erholung mit viel Nichtstun mache ich mich endlich an die lange Liste mit Bootsarbeiten. Es beginnt recht unschuldig mit einer neuen Holzkiste für die Starterbatterie des Generators. Anschliessend machen wir Unterhalt an der Hauptmaschine und dem Generator. Die Menge Schweiss, die ich im Maschinenraum produziere, würde jeden Saunagänger stolz machen! Als nächstes ersetze ich fehlende Holzdübel im Teakdeck. Wo ich nun mal auf allen Vieren bin, bemerke ich viele undichte Fugen, wo möglicherweise Wasser ins Deck eindringen kann. Nachdem ich die alte Fugendichtung entfernt und gereinigt habe, wir die Fuge mit neuem Silikon gefüllt. Anschliessend wird der Überstand weggeschnitten und das Deck leicht angeschliffen. Dies wird zu einem Riesenjob, der über 100 Arbeitsstunden dauert! Aber jetzt sieht das Deck toll aus und fühlt sich beim barfuss Gehen so glatt wie nie zuvor an, fast zu glatt…


Während all dem beobachte ich die Situation im Südpazifik. Alle Inselgruppen sind wegen der Pandemie auf unbestimmte Zeit geschlossen. Es ist schwierig, belastbare Informationen aus erster Hand zu erhalten. Nachdem es nur sehr wenige Fälle gibt, zeigen sich zaghafte Zeichen der Öffnung. Nach langem Hin und Her entscheide ich mich für die Weiterfahrt in den Pazifik sobald möglich. Dies bedeutet erst mal das Boot an Land zu stellen und in einer Woche von intensiver Arbeit notwendige Unterhaltsarbeiten zu erledigen. Dazu gehören die Antifouling-Unterwasserfarbe zu erneuern, Propeller und Schaft zu reinigen, den Rumpf und Aufbau zu polieren und versiegeln, den Ankerkasten und die Kette zu reinigen - um nur einige zu nennen. Gleichzeitig lasse ich das Vorsegel reparieren, lasse ein neues Bimini (Sonnenschutz fürs Cockpit) nähen und die Vorhänge in der Kabine werden repariert.


Um den Panamakanal zu durchqueren tue ich mich mit zwei anderen Segelbooten zusammen. Der 28. Mai wird als unser Transitdatum von der Kanalbehörde bestätigt. Plötzlich haben wir ein festes Datum. Was für eine seltsame Erfahrung nach so langer unbestimmter Zeit eine feste Frist zu haben!

Wieder in den Reisemodus zu wechseln braucht immer seine Zeit, nachdem man für eine Weile an einem Ort fest gelegen hat. Dies besonders weil ich für über zwei Montae in der Shelter Bay Marina verbracht habe und viele freundliche, hilfsbereite und grosszügige Menschen kennenlernen durfte, die einen ähnlichen Lebensstil haben und in einer ähnlichen Situation stecken. Mich von allen zu verabschieden fällt mir hier besonders schwer!


Time to pause - In der Marina haben wir eine Art Denkmal (denk mal!) errichtet, um an diese spezielle Zeit zu erinnern. Wir sind alle davon betroffen und können einander helfen. Es ist mir bewusst, wie viel Schmerz, Angst und Tod diese Pandemie weltweit verursacht. Trotzdem frage ich mich, was diese Zwangspause für die Menschheit bewirken könnte. Ausser der ernsten gesundheitlichen, gesellschaftlichen und wirtschaftlichen Folgen in Gegenwart und Zukunft, könnten sich auch unschätzbare Vorteile daraus ergeben. Jede und jeder muss sein Leben neu betrachten und neue Wege können sich ergeben. Wenn wir offen eingestehen, was wir als Menschheit uns selbst, einander, den Tieren und der Natur im Allgemeinen antun, mag das erst sehr schmerzhaft sein. Aber Veränderungen können oft sehr schnell und in überraschend positiver Richtung vonstatten gehen.

0 Kommentare

Caribbean, part 4

0 Kommentare

Caribbean, part 4

In Curaçao some old and some new crew joins me: Selma and Denis, the young Dutch couple, are back and Judy and John from Canada want to gain some bluewater experience.

After we stock up one last time on European groceries (unfortunately at European prices as well) we cast off to anchor at the west end of Curaçao for the night. The next day we sail to the west end of Aruba and anchor in the shelter of the island to rest for a day. On the passage to Santa Marta, Colombia all my guests suffer from varying degrees of seasickness. Judy ends up spending 37 of the 38 hour passage in her berth which actually belongs to Denis. He was nice enough to let her have his saloon berth as it is closest to the center of gravity of the boat and therefore the calmest. Unfortunately not even this helps her much.


We like the lively Santa Marta right away. We leave the boat for a few days in the safe marina to travel overland by bus to Cartagena for a great visit. The old town in Spanish colonial style is a sight to behold, albeit rather touristy. We grow fond of it, especially of Getsemani, the suburb where our Air BnB apartment is situated. There are a lot of houses falling apart with cool restaurants, artist’s ateliers, and the finest street art! It is quite possible that this neighborhood will be gentrified within a few years as happens so often.


Back on board we undertake a trip to the backcountry of Santa Marta. The northern end of the Andes mountains with their 4500 meter peaks come very close to the shore here, which in turn drops off quickly to 4000 meters of depths. These circumstances make this area one of the toughest cruising grounds worldwide. The winds can get accelerated greatly by the proximity of the mountains which causes high waves sometimes exacerbated by the current going against the direction of wind and waves. With this in mind I decide to postpone our departure until wind and waves drop a bit.


Naturally, we have been following the rapid spreading of the Corona virus and soon it is to catch up with us: On 11 March the first case is reported in the far off capital and in the evening, hours before our departure, we receive the breaking news that the autonomous San Blas Islands in Panama are closing their province for newly arriving sailboats to protect their indigenous people.


Despite all the restrictions we cast off to arrive after a 36 hour passage with a fresh breeze and 2.5 to 3 meter waves to anchor in the protection of the reef and supposedly uninhabited island called Olosicicuidup (Yes, I had to look that name up again). The approximately 200 meter long white coral sand island with just as many coconut palms turns out to be inhabited by a single man. He lives in a palm frond thatched hut and comes rowing out immediately in his dugout canoe with hand carved paddle to sell us lobster. We have arrived in an above and underwater paradise! As we had to be expecting after two days the coast guard and health officials show up to send us away with determination and kindness.


John und Judy have booked a flight from Panama home and we decide to drop them off there even though it means to go into quarantine for 14 days for all of us. Beginning 16 March we are anchored outside Shelter Bay Marina in Colon, Panama at the Atlantic entrance to the Panama Canal and are not allowed to leave the boat. The Canadians miss their flight because of this restriction. After a week they are able to disembark and be escorted by an embassy official straight to the airport to fly home. Selma, Denis, and I are left to hold out. We can’t even enjoy a swim around the boat as there are crocodiles reported in these waters!

But the marina staff is taking good care of us providing us with groceries and local SIM cards with data plan which secures our survival… On Saturday, 28 March we are finally allowed to come in and dock in the marina where we are welcomed warmly by the other cruisers and the staff.


In a matter of just a few days the world has changed: The airport, the canal passage for cruisers, and shops are closed with a stringent curfew in place. But we consider ourselves lucky as Shelter Bay Marina may never have been as deserving of its name as in these difficult days. It is situated in an old American military base which is surrounded by a tropical forest nature park. The nearest town is far away and we can shop our groceries in the marina store. We can be protected as a community if everyone participates. Luckily, most cruisers here seem to be of the reasonable and flexible kind and it is a great if even involuntary community helping each other out.


As for most humans at this time it is a waiting game for me, a time for position reckoning in one’s own life and to be open to what opportunities come up. Crisis is always a chance!

0 Kommentare

Karibik, Teil 4

In Curaçao kommt alte und neue Crew an Bord: Selma und Denis sind zurück, das holländische Paar, das bereits im Januar mit dabei war sowie Judy und John, ein kanadisches Paar, das gerne etwas Blauwasser-Erfahrung sammeln möchte.


Nachdem wir uns nochmals mit europäischen Lebensmitteln (leider auch zu europäischen Preisen) eingedeckt haben, geht es gleich los ans Westende von Curaçao, wo wir über Nacht vor einem Strand ankern. Tags darauf gleich weiter bis ans Westende von Aruba, wo wir einen Ruhetag einlegen und auf günstigen Wind warten.

Auf der Überfahrt nach Santa Marta, Kolumbien leiden alle Gäste mehr oder weniger unter Seekrankheit. Judy verbringt 37 von 38 Stunden in ihrer Koje, die eigentlich Denis gehört. Grosszügigerweise hat er ihr aber seine Salonkoje überlassen. Die Kojen in der Schiffsmitte weisen am wenigsten Bewegung auf, weil sie nahe am Schiffsschwerpunkt liegen. Aber auch das hilft ihr leider nicht viel.


Im lebendigen Santa Marta gefällt es uns auf Anhieb. Wir lassen das Boot einige Tage hier in der sicheren Marina stehen und reisen per Bus nach Cartagena, was ein toller Ausflug wird. Die im spanischen Kolonialstil erhaltene Altstadt ist wunderschön, aber auch ziemlich touristisch. Trotzdem wächst uns die Stadt schnell ans Herz, besonders auch der Stadtteil Getsemani, wo unsere Air BnB Wohnung liegt. Hier gibt es viele halbverfallene Häuser mit coolen Restaurants, Künstler-Ateliers und Street Art vom Feinsten! Gut möglich, dass dieses Quartier in einigen Jahren gentrifiziert wird, wie oft zu beobachten.

Zurück an Bord unternehmen wir noch einen Ausflug ins Hinter- und Hochland von Santa Marta. Die Andenausläufer von bis zu 4500 Metern über Meer kommen der Küste sehr nahe, wo das Meer schnell bis 4000 Meter tief ist. Diese Gegebenheiten machen dieses Segelgebiet zu einem der berüchtigsten der Weltmeere: Winde können durch die Berge stark beschleunigt werden, was wiederum hohe Wellen bewirken kann, teilweise noch verschlimmert durch gegenläufigen Strom. Wettervorhersagen sind mit Vorsicht zu geniessen und ich beschliesse, einen Tag länger zu warten, bis Wind und Wellen etwas abnehmen.


Natürlich haben wir mit Sorge die rasante Ausbreitung des Corona-Virus verfolgt und bald  holt es uns nun ein: Am 11. März wird in Kolumbien der erste Fall in der Hauptstadt gemeldet und abends kurz vor unserer geplanten Abfahrt erfahren wir, das die autonomen San Blas Inseln in Panama beschlossen haben, keine weiteren Fahrtenjachten zuzulassen um die indigene Bevölkerung vor dem Virus zu schützen.


Wir legen trotz aller Widrigkeiten ab und ankern nach etwa 36 Stunden Überfahrt bei frischem Wind und 2.5 bis 3 Meter Seegang im Lee eines Riffs und einer vermeintlich unbewohnten Insel namens Olosicuidup (ich musste den Namen auch nochmals nachschlagen). Die etwa 200 Meter lange und von etwa ebenso vielen Kokospalmen bewachsene weisse Korallensandinsel wird von einem einzelnen Mann in seiner Palmwedelhütte bewohnt. Sogleich kommt er in seinem Einbaum mit selbstgeschnitztem Paddel längsseits und will uns Langusten verkaufen. Wir sind in einem Über- und Unterwasser-Paradies gelandet! Wir hatten bereits damit gerechnet; nach zwei Tagen kommt die Küstenwache mit der Gesundheitsbehörde vorbei und weist uns freundlich aber bestimmt weg.


John und Judy haben einen Flug ab Panama gebucht und wir beschliessen, sie direkt dorthin zu fahren, auch wenn es erst mal 14 Tage in Quarantäne bedeutet. Ab 16. März liegen wir vor Anker direkt vor der Shelter Bay Marina in Colon, Panama am atlantischen Eingang des Panamakanals und dürfen uns nicht von Bord bewegen. Die Kanadier verpassen deshalb erst ihren Flug, können aber nach einer Woche von einem kanadischen Botschaftsangestellten an den Flughafen eskortiert werden und von dort direkt nach Hause fliegen. Selma, Denis und ich müssen weiter ausharren. Nicht einmal in Ruhe ums Boot schwimmen kann man, denn es soll hier Krokodile geben… grosse!

Doch die Marina versorgt uns toll mit Lebensmitteln und lokalen SIM-Karten mit Datenplan, das Überleben ist also gesichert! Am Samstag 28. März dürfen wir endlich in der Marina festmachen, wo wir von anderen Seglern und dem Personal herzlich empfangen werden. 


In einigen Tagen hat sich die Welt grundlegend verändert: Der Flughafen, der Kanal für Segelschiffe und die meisten Geschäfte sind geschlossen unter einer strikten Ausgangssperre. Wir haben aber Glück im Unglück, denn die Shelter Bay Marina verdient in diesen Tagen ihren Namen besonders. Ist sie doch in einer ehemaligen Amerikanischen Militärbasis gelegen, die ihrerseits von einem Tropenwald-Nationalpark umgeben ist. Die nächste Ortschaft ist weit entfernt und einkaufen kann man im kleinen Laden in der Marina selber. Wir können uns also selber gut schützen vor dem Virus, wenn nur alle mitmachen. Zum Glück sind vor allem Segler der vernünftigen und flexiblen Sorte vor Ort und es ist eine tolle, wenn auch unfreiwillige Gemeinschaft, die einander gerne aushilft.


Für mich wie für die meisten Menschen gilt es nun erst einmal abzuwarten, Standortbestimmung vorzunehmen und zu sehen, welche Möglichkeiten sich ergeben. Eine Krise ist immer auch eine Chance!

0 Kommentare

Caribbean, part 3

0 Kommentare

Caribbean, part 3

Our last two stops in the Eastern Caribbean are St. Barth’s and Nevis. St. Barth’s strongly reminds me of the Côte d’Azurs luxury marinas and resorts and I am happy to immerse myself for one last time in the down to earth and close to life Caribbean atmosphere of Nevis. For example, a haircut in St. Barth’s is 80$, one in Nevis is 8$.

Friends have been telling me how fabulous Los Roques, Venezuela is. A giant archipelago of small and smallest palm islands surrounded by reefs, inviting you to snorkel them - sounds enticing, were it not for the fact that they are part of troubled Venezuela. All the same we decide to sail directly there and can’t help but notice we feel a lot safer here than in many Caribbean islands. After obtaining clearance (from four different offices) we can chose our own islands to anchor. There are only a handful of other yachts here and they tend to congregate in a few select spots. Even more deserted are the Islas Aves on the way to the ABC Islands. Here we meet a few fishermen who are camping out here. Everywhere else it is white sandy beaches, turquoise waters, and a deep blue sky.


We would have liked to linger but Andrea must catch a plane soon. We sail overnight to Willemstad, Curaçao. The harbor entrance is grandiose: An ancient pontoon bridge is being swung aside just for us within minutes of arriving and we pass under a very high freeway bridge that looks more like part of a giant roller coaster (and feels like that when driving over it). The marina situated in the industrial harbor has a less glamorous feel.


Tara and I say our goodbyes to Andrea and motor all the way back to Bonaire against the wind. We have heard that some of the world’s best snorkeling and diving is to be had here. I am always a bit suspicious about such tall announcements, but in this case… wow! Since 1979 all the coastal waters around the island are a protected marine park and anchoring freely is prohibited. Instead, there are a number of well-maintained and secure mooring buoys. Directly off the back of your boat you can marvel at the intact and lively  coral reef, surrounded by numerous and colorful fishes only slightly shy of humans.

We are booking a diving course with Hens. He guides Tara on her first dive and literally holds onto her all through the dive for safety making sure we all have a great experience under water!


But soon Taras time on board is up as well - in short: she does not want to leave and I do not like to see her leave.

0 Kommentare

Karibik, Teil 3

Unsere letzten beiden Stops in der Ostkaribik sind St. Barth’s und Nevis. St. Barth’s erinnert doch sehr stark an die Côte d’Azur. Ein Haarschnitt in St. Barth’s kostet 80$ und in Nevis 8$. Ich bin froh, in Nevis noch mal ganz ins geerdete und lebensnahe Karibische Feeling eintauchen zu können. 


Freunde hatten mir von Los Roques, Venezuela erzählt. Ein der Küste von Venezuela vorgelagertes riesiges Archipel von kleinen und kleinsten Palmeninseln umgeben von Riffen, die zum Schnorcheln einladen - tönt verlockend, wenn es nur nicht im krisengeschüttelten Venezuela gelegen wäre… Wir entscheiden uns trotzdem, direkt dorthin zu segeln und dürfen feststellen, dass unsere Sorge völlig unbegründet ist und es hier sicherer als mancherorts in der Ostkaribik ist. Nach dem Einklarieren (an vier verschiedenen Orten) können wir uns unsere eigene Insel zum Ankern aussuchen.

Es gibt nur ein Handvoll andere Jachten hier und diese sammeln sich wie oft an einigen wenigen Orten. Noch verlassener sind die Islas Aves auf dem Weg zu den ABC-Inseln. Hier treffen wir nur einige Fischer an, die vor Ort campen und sonst gibt es nur weisse Sandstrände mit türkisfarbenem Meer und dem tiefblauen Himmel darüber.


Wir wären gerne noch einige Tage in diesem Paradies geblieben, aber Andrea muss bald zurückfliegen. Wir segeln über Nacht bis Willemstad, Curaçao. Die Hafeneinfahrt ist grandios: Eine antike Pontonbrücke wir eigens für uns zur Seite geschwungen und anschliessend passiert man unter einer Autobahnbrücke, die eher aussieht wie ein Stück Achterbahn (und sich beim Rüberfahren auch so anfühlt!). Die Marina im Industriehafen ist dagegen weniger glamourös.


Tara und ich verabschieden Andrea und motoren gegen den Wind nochmals einige Tage zurück nach Bonaire, welches als eines der weltweit besten Tauchparadiese gelten soll. Bei solchen Affichen bin ich immer etwas vorsichtig, aber in diesem Fall… wow! Seit 1979 sind alle Küstengewässer der Insel geschützt als Meeres-Naturpark und man darf nirgends frei ankern. Dafür gibt es genügend gut unterhaltene Bojen, wo man festmachen kann. Direkt vom Boot aus kann man hier ein sehr lebendiges Korallenriff bestaunen, umgeben von zahlreichen und verschiedenartig bunten Fischen, die nur wenig Scheu haben vor uns Menschen.

Wir buchen einen Tauchkurs bei Hens. Er leitet Tara und mich toll an und führt sie beim Tauchgang ständig, so dass es für uns alle ein tolles und sicheres Erlebnis wird!


Doch bald ist auch Taras Zeit an Bord um - kurz gesagt: Sie möchte nicht abreisen und ich würde sie auch gerne noch da behalten!

0 Kommentare

Caribbean, part 2

0 Kommentare

Caribbean, part 2

We have visited tiny islands like Petit Tabac, where Captain Sparrow is stranded with Elisabeth and sees his secret underground rum stash being blown up. Prominent and big islands like Guadeloupe and St. Vincent we do not visit for lack of time. Overall there is not enough time per island and we would have liked to stay longer in many places. But Panama and the Pacific are calling and it is still a long ways. The cyclone-free season starts in April.


Highlights were the two strenuous but spectacular hikes up to volcano Mont Pelée on Martinique and to the Boiling Lake on Dominica. 600 to 800m altitude change (2000 to 2500ft) are not much for an Alpine hiker. But on a tropical island where the sun burns down and the thermometer climbs above 30 C (90 F) I have to with to slo-mo and transpiration mode…


In the Caribbean you get a frequent chance to test your patience. Clearing in and out of every islands which is usually also its own country can be tedious. Many forms with always the same information must be filled in, given to customs, immigration, and port police and fees are due in a total of three different currencies throughout the Caribbean. On some islands data can be entered electronically now. But user friendly is not the first adjective that comes to mind. Praised be the old paper forms!


My crew for this leg consists of two Dutch couples who are friends. In addition to the normal luggage they bring a total of six surf boards, kite surf gear, and did I mention, a tent as well?! Surprisingly it all fits somewhere and all enjoy sailing - as long as we stop for surfing often…


On Dominica and St. Martin the traces of destruction brought by hurricanes Maria and Irma a couple of years ago are still very visible. Still, it is astonishing how much has been rebuilt after this total destruction within four (!) hours. On Dominica the forest has a strange look. The surviving tree trunks look much like asparagus, green with leaves but without any branches!


On Martinique all damage has been repaired and debris cleared completely. It seems it pays to be part of a larger country. Which supports its remote regions, aka former colonies and tourist destinations generously. And where aid money arrives where it is supposed to, one might add.


On St. Martin I am able to take care of a few boat projects. The new doppler radar has finally arrived and works great! It shows approaching objects in red, objects distancing themselves in green. Lagoon Marina consists of a single dock with a friendly bistro, great food and live music. All rather expensive but a welcome European, hence familiar, diversion. My Dutch crew is disembarking and my cousin Andrea and daughter Tara are joining me for the trip to Los Roques, Venezuela and the ABC islands.

See pictures

0 Kommentare

Karibik, Teil 2

Wir haben winzige Inseln wie Petit Tabac besucht, wo Captain Sparrow mit Elisabeth strandet und sein unterirdisches Rumversteck in Flammen aufgehen sieht. Prominente und grosse Inseln wie Guadeloupe und St. Vincent haben wir aus Zeitmangel völlig ausgelassen. Übers Ganze gesehen blieb nur wenig Zeit pro Insel und wir wären oft gerne noch länger geblieben. Aber Panama und der Pazifik rufen und bis dort ist es noch weit und die wirbelsturmfreie Zeit im Südpazifik beginnt im April.


Highlights waren die beiden zwar anstrengenden aber spektakulären Wanderungen zum Vulkan Mont Pelée auf Martinique und zum Boiling Lake auf Dominica. 600 bis 800 Höhenmeter sind nicht besonders viel für einen Alpenwanderer, aber auf einer tropischen Insel, wo die Sonne herunter sticht und das Thermometer auf über 30 Grad klettert, muss ich in den Slo-Mo und Transpirier-Modus wechseln…


Zu den mühsameren Geduldsproben für den Segler in der Karibik gehören das Ein- und Ausklarierungsprozedere auf jeder Insel, die auch oft ein eigener Staat ist. Viele Formulare mit immer den gleichen Angaben müssen ausgefüllt und bei Zoll, Einwanderungsbehörden und Hafenpolizei abgegeben und Gebühren in insgesamt drei verschiedenen Währungen bezahlt werden. Auf einigen Inseln kann man seine Daten elektronisch erfassen, aber benutzerfreundlich ist nicht das erste Adjektiv, was mir dazu einfällt. Da lobe ich mir das gute alte Papierformular!


Meine Crew besteht aus zwei befreundeten holländischen Paaren, die zusätzlich zum normalen Gepäck ihre Surfbretter dabei haben, dazu eine Kite-Surf-Ausrüstung und habe ich erwähnt, dass auch ein Zelt mit an Bord kommt? Erstaunlicherweise findet alles seinen Platz und alle haben Freude am Segeln, so lange wir immer wieder eine Surfpause einlegen…


Auf Dominica und Sint Maarten kann man die Spuren der Wirbelstürme Maria und Irma von vor zwei Jahren noch gut sehen. Es ist erstaunlich nach dieser totalen Zerstörung innert vier Stunden (!), wie vieles bereits wieder aufgebaut ist. Auf Dominica sind die Wälder seltsam anzuschauen: Die überlebenden Bäume haben zwar wieder grüne Blätter an ihren Stämmen, aber keine Äste! Auf Martinique sind alle Spuren bereits komplett beseitigt worden. Es lohnt sich, Teil eines grösseren Landes zu sein, welches seine abgelegenen Regionen, sprich ehemaligen Kolonien und Feriendestinationen grosszügig unterstützt - und wo die Hilfsgelder auch ankommen, wo sie sollen, könnte man vielleicht noch anmerken.


In Sint Maarten kann ich einige Arbeiten am Boot erledigen, die sich in den letzten Monaten angestaut haben. Das neue Radar mit Doppler-Effekt funktioniert sehr gut! Es zeigt Objekte, die sich uns nähern in roter Farbe, die sich entfernenden in grün. Die Lagoon Marina besteht aus einem einzigen Dock und einem tollen Bistro mit Live-Musik und feinem Essen. Alles ziemlich teuer aber eine willkommene und vertraut europäische Abwechslung. Meine Holländer-Crew geht von Bord und meine Cousine Andrea und Tochter Tara kommen an Bord. Ich freue mich auf den gemeinsamen Törn nach Los Roques und zu den ABC-Inseln!

0 Kommentare