Tahiti and Moorea

During this time, fortunately,  one of my fridges breaks down (no big deal) and my generator breathes its last (biiiig deal!) and I am trying to find a solution, quick and fast if possible… Very difficult to accomplish in this part of the world! A new unit would cost too much and take at least two months to arrive. I would still need to remove the old one and install the new one in my narrow engine room by myself. Even then, this is way above my budget and beyond my plans for time!


But sometimes things fall in place. My new co-sailor from Oregon arrives and she happens to have sailing friends who happen to 1. Have a generator on board, 2. Want to sell it, and 3. Are here in Tahiti. Awesome!

The whole process of negotiating and buying it, having it overhauled, and installed on board takes about four weeks and this one works even better than the old one! But a project like this is never straightforward and you have to be willing to walk the extra mile and get down to where it hurts. Bitter pill: After using it for a few hours I discover an oil leak that was not evident during the trial runs. This will mean uninstalling it, taking it to the shop to be fix, and reinstalling it!


Luckily, in between we escape several times to Moorea, Tahiti’s pretty little sister. The anchorages there have been rated as the most beautiful and spectacular in the world by other cruisers and we agree! The jagged green peaks of the volcanic caldera beg you to go hiking among them. But it is a good idea to try and time the weather… The wet season has started here with frequent and intense showers around midday, so typical in the tropics. We start (too) late in the morning on the sunny coast and head inland to the Three Coconut lookout, a hike on a well groomed path steep up the mountain side above which the clouds are already mounting, making walking in the forest and crossing creeks a twilight affair. We arrive at the top only to see the inside of a rain cloud and get completely drenched in a tropical downpour of about an hour, finally finding an overhanging rock to rest and eat our soggy sandwiches. On top of that we lose each other in the dense forest. Shouting does not work because of the great noise the large raindrops make when they hit the leaves and the ground. After some running up and down the trail I find my co-sailor who has gone off the trail and we head back to the coast where the sun shines and we are almost dry again by the time we get back to the boat.


We also get a few close up views of humpback whales who are resting up here before their great journey back to the Southern Ocean. Magnificent creatures!

Kommentar schreiben

Kommentare: 0